It is with a heavy heart to report that we must temporarily close the doors of The 418 Project until March 31st, when we will re-evaluate.
There are two big factors we are working with:
1. Under advisement of the California State Health authorities, we need to take immediate action.
California State Health authorities have provided new guidance that smaller events can proceed only if the organizers can implement social distancing of 6 feet per person.
Granted the intimate nature of our space, social distancing with 6 ft apart within the confinements of our community space is not feasible.
2. This is a need to act for the benefit of the larger community.
We deeply understand the healing and restorative nature of dance. Our love for dance and movement arts is why we exist (and will continue to thrive once this is behind us). That said, the math and current world experience has made it clear that by not supporting the community health guidelines there is a real possibility of contributing to more people dying due to this disease.
As one of our participants said, this is an act of love and not fear. This is intended to be a community service to help slow down the spread and to prevent overwhelm of our healthcare resources. We love and care for you. And we want to remind you that this is temporary.
In the meantime, here are some ideas and suggestions around keeping your dance alive:
• Create/offer playlists so we can all dance together in spirit in our homes, in the woods, on the beach, etc.
• An outdoor Dance Church event (if conditions permit)!
• Go out and dance independently — to the sounds of nature, in the sun rays, into the ocean mist…
• Create a zoom community dance
We would love to hear your ideas.
Keep dancing. Keep moving. We will dance with you in our hearts. We look forward to gathering together again when the time and social climate is right.
More to come.
With light and love,
The 418 Board, Staff, & Advisors
Oh, and here are some sources!